Below you'll find answers to the questions we get asked the most. If you have a question that you can't find the answer to, please use the contact us page.


Who do I contact if I smell gas or suspect a carbon monoxide leak?

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak or you can smell gas, leave the house or area and immediately call the National Gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.

Wherever you may be, there are some essential actions you need to do if you suspect a gas leak:

  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the property

  • If you are able, leave the property and wait outside until a gas engineer arrives  do not re-enter the property unless instructed to do so

  • Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999

  • Extinguish all naked flames

  • Don’t smoke or strike matches

  • Don’t turn on or off any electrical switches or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark

  • If you are feeling unwell, please visit your GP or hospital immediately and explain the situation

Find out more information about carbon monoxide poisoning on the NHS website.


General information

  • If your query relates to the credit on your gas meter, please contact your gas supplier as we are unable to assist with credit related enquiries.

  • Please note that as we are a gas metering business, we are unable to assist with any electricity related enquiries.

    If you have an electricity related question or concern, you will need to contact either your electricity supplier, or your local electricity distribution network.

    If you believe you are experiencing a power cut, please call 105.

  • As a traditional gas metering business, we are unable to assist with any queries relating to Smart meters. If your Smart meter has stopped communicating or you have identified a fault, please contact your gas supplier.

    We do not supply or maintain Smart meters.

  • Please note that we do not bill consumers for their energy use and so are unable to assist with any Energy Billing enquiries. If your query relates to your energy bill, you need to contact your energy supplier.

  • We have no facility to accept or process meter readings – these must be sent to your energy supplier.

    In order to legally use gas at your property you are required to have an appointed energy supplier; this is because energy suppliers are the bodies licensed by Ofgem to bill consumers for their consumption of gas, supplied through a meter-point. If you do not have a contract in place with a registered gas supplier, and you are consuming gas at your property, you are breaking the law.

    If you do not know who your energy supplier is, there are a number of ways that you can find out:

    - By using the Find My Supplier website
    - By Contacting the Meter Point Administration helpline on 0870 608 1524

  • If you have a query or concern related to property, land or equipment owned or operated by National Grid, please call 0800 096 3080 (Mon to Friday, 8am to 5pm) or visit

  • If you are a consumer who is seeking advice on keeping warm and safe through winter, or reducing your energy costs, the following resources could provide information that may be of use to you.

    - Keeping safe and warm

    Financial support

    Gas (and related equipment) safety

    If you suspect a meter has been tampered with, you can report it anonymously to Stay Energy Safe on 0800 023 2777.

    If you smell gas, open doors and windows, turn the gas off (if you can do so safely), exit the property and call 0800 111 999


Frequently Asked Questions

I have a general enquiry regarding my gas meter – who should I contact?

Please contact your gas supplier.

I don’t know who my gas supplier is?

You can find your gas supplier via the 'Find My Supplier' website, using the link below: 

Alternatively, you can contact the Meter Point Administration helpline on 0870 608 1524.

Can I get gas without a gas supplier?

No. To use gas, you must by law, have a contract in place with a gas supplier as it’s illegal to use gas without such a contract.

Is it ok to purchase my own gas meter from a third party?

Yes it is, but the Gas Act 1995 requires every consumer of gas to take their supply through a meter that has been approved for billing purposes. Consequently, while it's not an illegal act to purchase a gas meter, careful consideration should be given to the intended use of the meter.

For example, your gas meter is used to calculate the amount of gas used to enable the gas supplier to bill you. Any interference with a meter to prevent it from recording accurately or to attempt to manipulate the quantity of gas consumed in any way, are criminal offences.

Who owns the gas?

The ownership of gas changes as it moves through the network. In simple terms, gas which is delivered to your property is owned by your gas supplier.

How do I arrange a new gas connection to my property?

New connections are dependent on your property's location. You can request a new gas connection via your gas supplier or by contacting your local Gas Transporter.

How can I permanently remove the gas connection and meter from my property?

The removal of your gas meter can be arranged through your existing gas supplier. Once the meter has been removed, the permanent removal of a gas supply from your property can be arranged by contacting your local Gas Transporter.

How can I move my gas meter to another location within my property?

If the new location of the meter is greater than 1 meter from its existing location, or is on an external wall, then you will need to contact your local Gas Transporter.

The meter box at my property is broken and needs repair or replacement. Who can do this for me?

The meter box is the responsibility of the property owner, therefore any spares or replacements need to be sourced and paid for by them. Meter boxes can be purchased through the local Gas Transporter or from builder’s merchants and specialist hardware suppliers.

How is my data managed?

Where we act as 'Data Controller', please refer to the Privacy Policy link at the footer of this page.  There will be some circumstances in which NGM will act as a 'Data Processor' on behalf of Gas Suppliers. For more information on how your data is collected by your Gas Supplier please visit their website.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

Providing a consistent and excellent customer service is vitally important to us and at the heart of everything we do. If you are unhappy with any part of our services, then we want to know about it and do our best to put things right. You can contact us via:

Telephone: 0800 001 4340

Email: [email protected]

Address: Complaints, National Gas Metering, Pavilion Drive, Witton, Birmingham, B6 7BB

When and why might you contact me?

We will only ever contact you to confirm and/or agree metering related appointments, in or around your property. We will never ask for, or request, any personal information unnecessary for metering activity. Therefore please be aware of Scam-Callers who may pretend to be National Gas Metering and will ask for bank details or other personal information 

Should you believe that your call is not genuine, then please contact us on our Freephone number 0800 001 4340

How can I report nuisance calls and messages?

The ‘Information Commissioners Office’ (ICO), the UK’s independent authority set up to up hold information rights in the public interest, provides useful guides on how to identify and report any nuisance calls or messages that you may be concerned about.  Attached below is a link to the ICO, in support of this area:

Can I purchase my own gas meter from a third party?

Yes, the facility for a gas consumer to provide their own meter is enshrined in the Gas Act.

However, this is more common for larger industrial customers, who have the engineering capability to manage the maintenance of such equipment.

Smaller gas consumers are permitted to own (or to arrange for provision of) their own gas meter, but must also ensure that it is properly maintained to ensure its safety and accuracy.

However, please note that in order to consume gas through the meter, you will still need to have an appointed gas supplier and will be billed accordingly.

How can I permanently remove the gas connection and meter from my property? / I no longer wish to use my gas supply, what do I do?

Please contact your gas supplier who will be able to assist you.


Additional information about our Policy Meter Exchange (PME) programme

Why do you need to exchange my meter?

As part of our maintenance programme, your gas meter has been identified that it is due to be replaced in line with our asset policy.

Who will be completing  the exchange at my property?

We have a number of trusted service partners that work on our behalf.  All our trusted service partners are fully qualified and carry photo identification. 

How  can I check the identification of the engineer?

A contact identification  telephone number is located on the back of their  card alternatively  please  contact us on 0800 001 4340.

Are you fitting a smart meter?

No, the new meter will not be smart enabled,  it will have the same functionality as your current meter.

Why do you need access to my property?

Access is required to allow our engineers to carry out checks on your internal appliances.

Do I need to do anything in preparation?

No, our engineer just requires access to your property with  enough space to be able to safely work on the meter.

How do I amend my PME appointment?

You are able to change your appointment date and time by calling 0800 001 4340 or emailing [email protected]

General advice about your gas meter and moving property

  • When you move out of a property, note the meter reading and inform your supplier of the reading and that you moved out on a specific date. 

  • When you move into a new property, write down the meter reading and contact whoever you wish to supply your gas. Explain you have just moved into this property, on this given date, provide the meter reading and explain that you would like them to supply your gas; the gas supplier will do the rest. Contact the present gas supplier (if different) and National Grid that they are the new supplier to this address and gas meter with the Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN).

  • They will ask for the MPRN, which can be found on the gas meter.

  • If you phone a gas supplier and they are not the present gas supplier for that property they should advise you to call the MRN number telephone number 0870 608 1524, which will provide people with a MRN and or the present gas supplier. *This call will cost 7 per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

  • If you move into a property and have NOT been billed for your gas usage, the gas supplier will charge any back dated charges to the present occupier unless you can prove when you moved into the property, or they may try to find the previous occupier. Hence the importance of taking the meter reading and informing the gas supplier you are moving out or have just moved in. (The ownership of gas changes as it moves through the network. In simple terms, gas which is delivered to your property is owned by your gas supplier.)